16th Day of March, 2020
WASHINGTON PLACE ARTIFACTS: 100+ YEARS
Multiple new housing subdivisions in turn-of-the-century Huntington were owned by former confederate generals, including Washington Place, which was explicitly built for Black Huntingtonians by John Henry Cammack (note: Cammack Middle School), which in historian Cicero Fain’s opinion was to keep Black people out of the areas of town further to the south where more white people lived. Cammack and others also worked to retroactively install racial covenants in surrounding areas.
Housing covenants trace the changing attitudes of late Reconstruction and echo the increase in white racial violence after 1900.
An ongoing project of reconfigured documents.
Screenprint on Rives BFK